Strawberry and crème meringue roulade is a delightful summer dessert. Soft meringue, whipped cream and strawberries quite literally rolled up into one spectacular dessert. Strawberries always taste best in the summer when they are in season which is why this is best served as a summer dessert compliments of Pastry Chef Zoë Ellis from Tiara Restaurant at Queen’s Landing. The meringue can be made up to a day in advance but the dessert is best if it is filled and rolled just before you are ready to serve and no more than a few hours in advance.
Strawberries and Crème Meringue Roulade
Yields 8 – 12 servings, gluten free, nut free
Ingredients for Roulade:
4 large Egg whites
250 g White sugar
¼ tsp Cream of tartar
1 tsp Vanilla extract (or extract of your choice)
Ingredients for Filling:
1 ½ cup 35% Cream
3 tbsp Icing sugar
½ tsp Vanilla extract
Approximately 1-2 cups fresh strawberries, washed, dried thoroughly, and sliced.
Optional: Additional icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease and line an 18” x 13” baking sheet/jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Combine sugar and cream of tartar and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or with a handheld electrical mixer, whisk the egg whites on medium-high speed until egg whites become stiff, and gradually sprinkle in the sugar mixture while continuing to whisk. Fold in the vanilla extract.
- Evenly spread the meringue into the prepared pan, and bake at 375˚F for 15-20 minutes, until golden and fluffy.
- Once baked and cooled for five minutes, place a kitchen towel on the counter, topped with a sheet of parchment paper, sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar and turn out the meringue onto the paper.
- Next, peel away the lining paper and place a new piece of parchment paper on top, then roll the meringue, starting from the short side, using the towel as an aide. Let cool.
- Whip the cream until medium-stiff peaks form, and add icing sugar and vanilla.
- When the meringue is cool, unroll it, and remove the top parchment paper; spread the whipped cream over the entire layer, and add an even layer of sliced strawberries on top. (If you prefer, use other berries or fruit filling in place of strawberries).
- Re-roll the dessert, with the open seam underneath.
- Dust with icing sugar and chill at least 1hour before serving. May be presented whole, or easily sliced with a serrated knife.
- Consume within 2 days.
Discover our Restaurants and Menus
Wine, dine, and indulge in unforgettable cuisine at your favourite Vintage Hotel