Fall is here and that means it’s pumpkin season! On a cool and crisp fall day, enjoy this savory Pumpkin Velouté recipe compliments of Executive Chef Chris Smythe from Noble Restaurant at Prince of Wales. Super creamy and smooth, this soup is comfort in a bowl with its standout maple crème fraîche.
Fun fact: Roasting fresh pumpkins, allows for the maximum pumpkin flavor to stand out in this dish.
Roast Pumpkin Velouté with Cracker Meal & Maple Crème Fraîche
Serves 8 people
5 lb Pie pumpkins
4 L Vegetable stock
1 medium Onion (diced)
2 Ribs celery (diced)
2 oz Canola oil
1 cup Butter crackers (mashed)
1 oz Canadian whisky
2 oz Maple syrup
1 cup Crème fraîche (1 cup 35% cream to ½ lemon)
Salt and pepper
- Core and roast the pumpkins in an oven at 375˚F for 30 minutes
- Take the canola oil and sweat off the onion and celery in a soup pot.
- Pull the pulp from the pumpkin skin and add to the celery and onions.
- Add the vegetable stock in the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- With a stick blender, purée the soup and add the nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Take the crème fraîche and blend with the maple syrup and whisky
- Garnish your soup with the crème fraîche and a sprinkle of cracker meal.
Wine Pairing: 2021 Cave Spring Riesling Dolomite
Riesling is a natural fit for this Velouté because of the sweetness of the pumpkin, onion, nutmeg and bit of maple syrup. The wine has a touch of residual sugar, vibrant acidity and beautiful citrus and peach flavours. This should all work together nicely.
Discover our Restaurants and Menus
Wine, dine, and indulge in unforgettable cuisine at your favourite Vintage Hotel