Perfectly caramelized onions, a warm and rich broth and a toasted cheesy French baguette to top it off, this French Onion Soup recipe courtesy of Executive Chef Mark Longster from Cannery Restaurant at Pillar & Post is comfort in a bowl.
French Onion Soup
Serves 8 people
6 large Spanish onions, sliced julienne
4 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Sugar
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 cups Beef or chicken stock
½ cup Sherry
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp Chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp Chopped fresh tarragon
8 slices (1inch thick) French baguette
1½ cup of Grated swiss cheese
Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- Caramelize the onions and garlic with the olive oil, butter and sugar in a 6 liter pot.
- Once the onions are golden brown, deglaze the pot with the sherry (remove from heat to avoid flames), and reduce by 1 quarter.
- Add stock, thyme, bay leaves and tarragon. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the soup is simmering, brush both slides of the 8 slices of French baguette with butter, and toast in the oven at 450˚F for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the baguette from the oven and top each one with the swiss and parmesan cheese and place back in the oven until melted and beginning to brown.
- Ladle an equal amounts into each bowl and top it with your cheesy crostini.
Discover our Restaurants and Menus
Wine, dine, and indulge in unforgettable cuisine at your favourite Vintage Hotel