The perfect sweet pairing for your daily coffee is refreshed for summer with seasonal blueberries and peaches! This bright coffee cake tastes like a giant blueberry muffin with the added flavour of sweet peaches. Ideal for breakfast, dessert or an afternoon snack with your coffee or tea courtesy of Pastry Chef Karen Souillet from Headwaters Restaurant at Millcroft Inn & Spa.
Wild Blueberry and Peach Coffee Cake
Yields 1 8″ Cake
½ cup Unsalted butter, softened plus some to grease pan
1 cup All-purpose flour
1 tsp All-purpose flour (to dust the pan)
1tsp Baking powder
½ tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
¾ cup Sugar
¼ tsp Vanilla extract
2 large Eggs
½ tsp Lemon zest
1 cup Fresh wild blueberries (or frozen)
1 ¼ cup Fresh peaches cut into small cubes (1/2”)
1 tsp Lemon juice
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Butter a 7-8” springform pan and dust with flour. Line bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and position the rack in the center of the oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the flour with the baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium high speed for about 2 minutes, add sugar and beat until light and fluffy (another 2-3 minutes).
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until well blended and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the lemon zest. Add and blend in vanilla extract.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and slowly add the flour mixture, beating until smooth. The batter will be thick.
- Toss berries with lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of flour.
- Pour half of the batter in the pan and sprinkle 1/3 of the blueberries and 1/3 of the peach pieces on top.
- Top with remaining batter and sprinkle remaining blueberries and peaches on top.
- Bake 45-60 minutes at 350˚F.
- If using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain first.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before taking it out.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- The coffee cake is best the day it is baked but also keeps well when covered/wrapped on the counter for up to 3 days.
Discover our Restaurants and Menus
Wine, dine, and indulge in unforgettable cuisine at your favourite Vintage Hotel