A surprising Thai-inspired twist on Butternut Squash Soup is just the comfort dish you needed to warm you up this fall. Savour the flavours of sweet and spicy candied ginger and vibrant Thai basil as you enjoy this soup recipe, courtesy of Executive Chef Nicolas Petitjean from Headwaters Restaurant. With only 10 ingredients, it’s easy to make, so cook a big batch today, and enjoy all autumn long.
Butternut Squash Soup with Candied Ginger and Thai Basil
Serves 4 people
200 g Spanish Onion
500 g Butternut squash
1,000 g Water
50 g Butter
200 g Heavy cream
15 g Kosher salt
40 g Extra virgin olive oil
80 g Candied ginger
20 g Thai basil
2 Thyme sprigs
- Peel and slice the Spanish onion.
- Peel and dice the butternut squash.
- In a pot, sauté the onion and butternut squash with butter for a couple minutes (sauté the vegetable slowly so as not to give any caramelization or colour to the food).
- Add thyme sprigs, water, heavy cream & salt.
- Cook through until the butternut squash crumbles.
- Blend the soup adding the extra virgin olive oil.
- In a bowl, place a small piece of candied ginger, and pour soup overtop. Add the Thai basil chiffonade.
Discover our Restaurants and Menus
Wine, dine, and indulge in unforgettable cuisine at your favourite Vintage Hotel