Strawberry pavlova is the most marvelous meringue dessert. This elegant pavlova commands attention, topped with fluffy whipped cream and a tumble of sweet, juicy strawberries. Our summer strawberry recipe is courtesy of Pastry Chef Clyde Pereira from Inn On The Twenty Restaurant at Inn On The Twenty.
Serves 12 People
3 Egg whites
1 cup White sugar
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Lemon juice
1¼ cup 35% Whipping cream
½ cup Icing sugar
2 pints Local Niagara strawberries
- Preheat oven to 300˚F.
- Line a flat cookie sheet with parchment paper and trace out the outline of a nine inch cake pan or plate.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks, gradually add in ¾ cup of white sugar slowly (add a couple tablespoons at a time until all the amount is incorporated) while continuing top whip until firmer peaks are formed.
- Mix together the remaining ¼ cup of sugar with cornstarch and lightly fold in.
- Add lemon juice and lightly fold the meringue being careful not to deflate it.
- Spread the meringue on the parchment paper to fill out the traced outline.
- Spoon some meringue on the edge of the circle to make it into a cup/bowl shape.
- Bake at 300˚F for 1 hour. Then turn off the oven but leave the meringue in and do not open the door for another 30 minutes.
- Meringue is done when it is hard on the outside but slightly soft on the inside.
- You can also pipe the meringue into little cups to make individual portions.
- When meringue is baking try not to open the oven door or disturb it.
Discover our Restaurants and Menus
Wine, dine, and indulge in unforgettable cuisine at your favourite Vintage Hotel